July 2, 2018

7-2-2018 Santa Hat's

We're in for a lot of fun sewing in the next few weeks. We will be sewing Christmas Cheer by Cotton Way.  The pattern can be purchased here. The fabric we will be using is Vintage Holiday by Bonnie and Camille. The kit can be purchased here. I will not be posting measurements of the pieces. You will have to purchase the pattern to find this information.



The next two weeks we'll be working on the Santa Hat Row. It looks like a lot of pieces, but I've sewn mine and I'll give you pointers so you "hopefully" won't make the same mistakes I did.

The first thing I did was choose five red prints. They can be any of the reds.


I started on page 4 and cut out all of my white fabrics and labeled them. Remember, the amounts listed are for one block and we make five, so you'll have to cut 5 of A thru Q.  I cut all of my pieces the exact size.


Next, I cut out my red pieces R, J, O, N. I stacked a couple of my reds when I cut saving a little time.
Lastly, I pulled my white/silver stripe. Here is where I almost made my first mistake...you will want your stripe running up and down, so you'll need to cut along the 18" side. 



Follow instructions for step 1.



Next, follow instructions for step 2.





Press O/P seam towards red, so the seam will nest with the next step.
Press this seam open to reduce bulk.



Press the hat band towards the hat.


Sew M/N together and press towards N (white). Continue sewing as directed.












Here is the back of the block showing which way I pressed.


Decide on the layout of your row. You will now start to add your sashing strips. I added mine to the left side, chain sewing all of the Santa hats. After I attached all of them together I added the last sashing strip to the right side.


You will now find the center of the row and measure for 36-1/4" on each side of the center and trim if needed. 


You have another row finished and are able to sew to your other rows.


You will not need to add any sashing to this row of Santa Hats. 

The next row we'll be working is Row #4, the Heart blocks. 
We'll see you in two weeks. If you have any questions, please post them on the Facebook page and don't forget to show off your rows.

No comments: